Being an advocate of creating and “Chasing hygge” everywhere, I absolutely adored coming across the hyggelige and cozy greenhouse belonging to my lovely girlfriend Mille.
Her greenhouse is her sanctuary, a place she relaxes all year round. She has decked it out for winter, and now it looks utterly amazing and very hyggeligt for Christmas.
We have included a few tips on how you can – with little effort make your outdoor greenhouse or orangery ready for some Winter-hygge.
YES, you do have to dress up warm, and drink lots of hot tea, hot chocolate or even Gløgg – but that’s hygge during the cold months – and it is essentially what hygge is all about!!
Our lovely model Louis – the pug, thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon in the greenhouse – he was the perfect little helper, and a very photogenic chap I might add.
TIPS TO MAKE YOUR GREENHOUSE A HYGGELIGT SANCTUARY
- GET CANDLES, LOTS OF THEM – ESSENTIAL HYGGE ITEMS.
- ADD A TABLE AND CHAIR – AND BLANKETS SO YOU CAN RELAX AND KEEP WARM. WRAP UP, AND REMEMBER A HOT DRINK – TEA IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA.
- STICK TO A COHERENT COLOUR PALETTE – IN THIS GREENHOUSE WE KEPT IT GREEN AND FRESH.
- MIX AND MATCH YOUR ACCESSORIES – OLD, NEW, METAL, STONE, WOOD.
- CREATE HYGGELIGE NOOKS AND VIGNETTES ON TABLES AND THE FLOOR.
- MAKE SURE YOU USE PLANTS THAT CAN SURVIVE FROST.
- ENJOY YOUR NEW FAVOURITE SPACE – ALL YEAR ROUND
The article first appeared in the Festive edition of Simply Hygge Magazine – Winter 2016 – filled to the brim with HYGGE and lots of things to do to make you December magical.