We had such a lovely day when we tasted our way through 5 different types of Fastelavns boller from 5 different bakeries, but today we wondered if we could do it just as well by making homemade Fastelavns boller! We are fond of baking here in this house. It is a very hyggelig activity, and nothing tastes better than homemade food right?
So I asked my Mormor (Grandmother) if she had ever baked Fastelavns boller? She said she had a very old recipe she used to make, so we thought we would give it a go:
Makes 10-15 Fastelavnsboller
For the dough
- 1 dl lukewarm water
- 50 g yeast
- 1 dl full-fat cream
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp Vanilla sugar
- 125 g soft butter
- 350 g flour
For the filling
- 3 dl full-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 2,5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- In your mixing bowl, crumble the yeast into the lukewarm water, stir until dissolved.
- Add the cream, sugar, soft butter and stir well.
- Finally, add the flour, stir and then knead the dough until soft and smooth, not too firm.
- Leave to rise for 30 mins in a warm place.
- In a small saucepan, add all the ingredient for the filling. Stir well and turn on the heat. Slowly heat up until boiling point, keep stirring (all the time) until thick and ‘custard-like’.Take the saucepan off the heat and leave to cool.
- Roll out the dough until thin and flat on, 0.50 cm thick.Cut the dough into squares 12 x 12 cm.
- Leave a generous dollop of custard in the middle of the dough. Close the ‘corners’ in like a small parcel, keeping the custard in the middle.Make the parcel round, and turn it around, and place it on a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Leave to rise for 30 mins. Preheat your oven 225 degrees celsius.
- Give the ‘Fastelavnsboller’ an egg wash, and put them in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes.Take them out of the oven and leave to cool.
Whisk your cream so it turns into whipped cream.
Cut the Fastelavnsboller in half.
Add a layer of jam on the bottom, I like to use raspberry jam.
Add whipped cream to the middle of the bun. Put the ‘lid on’
Sprinkle icing sugar on top.
Serve and ENJOY!!