Seeing the summer is giving us rainy clouds, and not enough sunshine to eat your ice-cream outside, I decided to take matters into my own hands and create the most delicious and smooth Mint & Chocolate Chip Icecream on the market, in collaboration with Malene Marie Møller – from Sohome magazine (read the magazine here – the recipe is on page 94).
This one is velvet smooth, fresh, minty and with lovely dark chocolate chips. This ice cream is perfect to enjoy as a dessert with a bunch of friends or in a bowl, on the sofa, watching your favourite TV series – I recommend Mr. Robot from Viaplay.
Serves 4-6 people
You will need the following ingredients:
- 100 g dark chocolate (Valhrona max 70%)
- 4 dl full fat milk
- 3, 5 dl cream
- 1 vanilla pod – seeds scraped out and mixed with a spoonful of sugar (alternatively use 1 tbsp vanilla sugar)
- 30-35 fresh mint leaves – chopped
- 4 large egg yolks (pasteurised)
- 125 g sugar
- 2-4 drops peppermint essence if you feel the need for extra minty flavour
- Ice cream cones (for serving)
- Pistachio nuts for decoration
What you’ll need to do:
- Pop the chocolate in the freezer for 20 mins. Chop or break the chocolate into smalled pieces.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan, add the vanilla beans, mint and slowly bring to the boil.
- Keep stirring to prevent it from burning. Leave to cool and leave to infuse for min 45 mins.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, and whip until creamy and pale.
- Pour the milk through a sieve, and discard the mint and vanilla pod.
- Pour in back into the saucepan and pour the egg mix in.
- Slowly bring to the boil, whilst stirring until thick. Make sure it doesn’t get too hot, or it may split.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Pop it in your ice cream maker – or in the freezer for 1.5 hours – stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and freeze until frozen solid.
I have served my ice-cream in cones that I pimped by dipping them in hot melted chocolate, and dipping them in crushed pistachio nuts.